Party State President
G Kishan Reddy, who people affectionately and reverentially call ‘Kishananna’, is a vivid example of what one can achieve through sheer determination and hard work. His calm demeanour betrays his inner strength. He got elected as a Member of Parliament in 17thLok Sabha from Secunderabad Constituency, Telangana-2019. He was earlier a three-time MLA and BJP Floor Leader in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh Assemblies
Gangapuram Kishan Reddy hails from Ranga Reddy District, Telangana State was born in a middle-class farmers family in 1960 to Late Sri Gangapuram Swami Reddy and Late Smt. Andalamma. He is married to Kavya, who is a homemaker but duly supports him in his political journey. His daughter Vaishnavi and son Tanmai are pursuing their higher studies.
He displayed leadership instincts from early childhood, inspired by Lokmanya Jayaprakash Narayan, who was the mascot in the fight against corruption and emergency.
Gangapuram Kishan Reddy started his political career as a Yuva karyakartha (youth worker) in Janata party. He joined the BJP on its inception in the year 1980. In BJP, he started his career as an ordinary party worker, grew step by step, handling some of the most critical responsibilities amongst the top leadership both at the National and State level. In due recognition of his steadfast commitment for the party and its growth, he was appointed as the President of the Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (Youth wing of BJP) in 2002, when BJP was in power at the Center.
He contested as an MLA from Himayatnagar Assembly constituency in 2004 for the first time, when unfortunately the entire opposition experienced a rout. Though he was a first time MLA, and only member from the party, he conducted himself so diligently that he became a synonym for the opposition. The maturity and insight with which he participated in the debates endeared him to people across the political and ideological spectrum.
As an MLA for three terms, he was guided by the self-imposed ethic ‘Honesty is my motto and development is my path’. Inspired by Nation-First conviction, he focused on improving the living conditions of the people and indeed brought about a perceptible change in many lives.
Of the many milestones that he went on crossing, his work for the child heart patients deserves special mention. Taking into cognisance that hundreds of children were succumbing to heart-related ailments, he unleashed a massive movement in association with MRPS Leader Shri. Manda Krishna Madiga, demanding the government to save the sick child-heart patients and civil society. The then government in due recognition and appreciation of the intensity of the issue came up with a scheme to save the child-heart patients.
The movement evoked a significant response from the society as many organisations came forward to support the government initiative. In due recognition of his passion for the cause of children, the UNICEF (U.N. Organization) honoured him with ‘Child-Friendly Legislator’ award.
He further played an essential role in the separate Telangana movement; he rejuvenated the Telangana movement by conducting Telangana Poru Yatra for 25 days during which he addressed 333 meetings.
As the President of Telangana Home Guards Association, he undertook many movements and sat on fast several times to impress upon the government over the imperative of equal treatment, respect and improvement of their living conditions.
When he was the President of Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morch, he founded World Youth Council against Terrorism (WYCAT) an apolitical organisation to fight terrorism across the world. He organised the International Youth Conference against Terrorism (IYCT) under the auspices of WYCAT in New Delhi in which over 193 delegates participated from over 54 countries.
On the other hand, He also conducted “Seema Suraksha Jagaran Yatra” to express solidarity with the people living in the hostile border areas and impress upon them as well as the government to be more vigilant to make borders pores-proof. He covered eight states travelling more than 1200 km by road for 45 days in the Border dist villages adjoining Pakistan, Bangladesh, China and Nepal.
EARLY POLITICAL LIFE
His natural leadership instincts were finely tuned by Indian nationalist and social reform leader Jayaprakash Narayan and various RSS leaders. Service activities of RSS tremendously inspired Shri Reddy to take up service to the common man as his mission in life. Discipline within the RSS, strong commitment to Indian Nationalism had deeply attracted him, which then catalysed his foray into politics and inspired him to join BJP. Another significant influence in his life was Swamy Vivekananda who advocated the principles of unity, nationalism, discipline, the power of collective struggle, of whole-heartedly supporting a cause one believes in and a person’s pursuance of individual perfection.
He entered politics very early by joining the youth wing of Janata Party and joining the BJP when the erstwhile Janasangh cadre split from the Janata Party. His dedication and capabilities were soon recognised, and he saw unparalleled growth in BJP.
- Member of Parliament–2019–Secunderabad Lok Sabha Constituency.
- BJP Floor Leader – Andhra Pradesh and Telangana Legislative Assemblies.
- MLA – Himayatnagar and Amberpet Assembly Constituencies, Andhra Pradesh and Telangana-2004-2018.
- International Chairman – World Youth Council against Terrorism (WYCAT)
- National Secretary – Indian Council of Political Leader (Alumni members Flat form of “American Council of young political leaders” (ACYPL)
- Chairman – Andhra Pradesh and Telangana Home Guards Welfare Association
- Chairman – Telangana Kabbadi Association.
- 1977 Started his political career as a Leader of the Youth wing of the Janata Party
- 1980 On the formation of the BJP from the Jana Sangh, Mr Kishan Reddy joined the party full time.
- 1980-‘81Convener, Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha, Ranga Reddy District Committee
- 1982-‘83 State treasurer, Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha – State Department
- 1983-‘84 State Secretary, Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha – Andhra Pradesh State
- 1986-‘90 State President for five years, Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM)- Andhra Pradesh State
- 1990-‘92 All India Secretary, Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha and In-charge for South India
- 1992-‘94 All India Vice President, Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha
- 1994-‘01 National General Secretary, Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (Served three consecutive terms for seven years)
- July 2001 – August 2002 State Treasurer, Bharatiya Janata Party, Andhra Pradesh State Spokesperson, Bharatiya Janata Party, Andhra Pradesh
State BJP Head Quarter Administrative In-charge, Andhra Pradesh
- September 2002 – June 2004 National President, Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM)
- September 2004-05 State General Secretary & Official Spokesperson, Bharatiya Janata Party, Andhra Pradesh
- May 2004-2009 Elected as an MLA from Himayath Nagar Assembly Constituency, Hyderabad City.
- 2009 – 2014 Second time MLA Amberpet Assembly Constituency, Hyderabad City.
- March 2010 to March 2014 President – Bharatiya Janata Party, Andhra Pradesh State – Two Terms
- March 2014 to April 2016 State President, BJP Telangana
- First BJP State President of Newly formed Telangana State.
- 2014 –2018 Third time elected as MLA from Amberpet Assembly Constituency, Hyderabad City
- May 2016-2018 – BJP Floor Leader, Telangana Assembly
- May 2019 – Member of Parliament (Elect) – 17th Lok Sabha Secunderabad Constituency
- May 2019 – July 2021 – Minister of State for Home Affairs, Government of India
- July 2021 – Present – Union Minister for Tourism, Culture and Development of North Eastern Region, Government of India
OTHER SIGNIFICANT ACHIEVEMENTS
- Played a crucial role in drafting National Youth Policy in NDA regime under the guidance of Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee, then Prime Minister of India.
- Shri Gangapuram Kishan Reddy has travelled extensively across the world representing India and its youth leadership in various fora. Some of the delegations that he was part of include:
- 1994 Visited USA as a member of five young political leaders group along with the current Prime Minister Sri Narendra Modi on the invitation of American Council for Young Political Leaders (U.S.Govt Organization) during which he meticulously studied various aspects of American Political system.
- Visited Israel as a representative of BJYM. Lead the delegation focused on the promotion of bilateral and trade relationships.
- Participated in World Vision – 2000 conference held at Washington D.C., the USA.
- 2001 visited China as a BJYM National President on the invitation of all China youth federation (China Govt Organization).
- Visited U.K., France Canada and Nepal in 1994 to study youth policies of respective nations
- Was a member of Committee for National youth programmes (COMYP) constituted by the government of India under the chairmanship of Hon. Prime Minister Sri.P.V.Narsimha Rao, since 1994
- Was a member of the national steering committee for Vandemataram new Millennium 2000 celebrations organized by Govt of India.
- Visited Morocco, Malaysia, Bulgaria, Singapore, Egypt., Bangkok, Hongkong, France, U.K., to participate in the international conferences on terrorism organised by respective nations.
AWARDS & HONORS
- Was recognized as the best child-friendly legislator award in the AP Assembly by UNICEF (United Nations)
- Was given Outstanding Youth Leadership Award for the year 2009 by Maryland India Business Round Table, USA
- Conferred a medal by Union of Bulgarian Commandos for his contribution towards Global Peace at Sophia Capital of Bulgaria